Fight for Sight funds pioneering research to prevent sight loss and treat eye disease in adults and children. Each year, we provide a range of funding opportunities for research teams based in the UK who are attached to recognised academic or medical institutions. You can read summaries of our research projects below.
- Acanthamoeba keratitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Amblyopia (lazy eye)
- Bardet Biedl Syndrome
- Behçet’s disease
- Best disease
- Birdshot chorioretinopathy
- cerebral visual impairment
- Charles Bonnet Syndrome
- Conjunctival disease
- Corneal disease
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Duane syndrome
- Eyelid cancer
- Fuchs’ corneal dystrophy
- Leber’s congenital amaurosis
- Leber’s hereditary optic neuropathy
- Macular hole
- Meesmann corneal dystrophy
- Ocular coloboma
- Ocular mucous membrane pemphigoid
- Proliferative vitreoretinopathy
- Refractive error
- Retinal detachment
- Retinopathy of prematurity
- Retinitis pigmentosa
- Stargardt disease
- Thyroid eye disease
- Uveal melanoma (eye cancer)
- Wolfram syndrome
By research category
- Clinical Fellowship
- Dr Hans and Mrs Gertrude Hirsch Award
- Early Career Investigator Award
- Fight for Sight / Birdshot Uveitis Society Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / British Thyroid Foundation and Thyroid Eye Disease Charitable Trust Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / British Thyroid Foundation Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Childhood Eye Cancer Trust Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Fulbright Research Award
- Fight for Sight / International Glaucoma Association Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Macular Disease Society Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / National Eye Research Centre Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Nystagmus Network Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Olivia's Vision Uveitis Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / PMRGCA UK Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / RP Fighting Blindness Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Uveitis Information Group (Scotland) Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight Partnership Fund
- Fight for Sight Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Sparks Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Thomas Pocklington Trust Small Grant Award
- Frankenburg PhD Studentship
- MRC/Fight for Sight Clinical Research Training Fellowship
- New Lecturers' Small Grant Award
- PhD Studentship
- Programme Grant
- Project Grant
- The Frankenburg PhD Studentship
- Thyroid Eye Disease Charitable Trust Small Grant Award
What’s the best way to prepare donor tissue for corneal transplant?
Aiming to improve the quality of life for patients and reduce NHS costs
How does the immune system respond to fungal infection at the front of the eye?
Studying gene activity at the cornea as a first step to developing treatment.
Microbial keratitis in Malawi
Testing a new way of collecting samples from the cornea to help identify the causes of blinding eye infection
Finding the genetic cause of dry eye syndrome
A study of 20,000 people aiming to improve diagnosis and treatment of a very common cause of poor eye health
A strain of bacteria resistant to contact lens solution
Understanding a new cause of eye infection and sight loss
Do stem cells in the cornea have their own genetic ‘fingerprint’?
Improving the stem cell transplant process
What makes so many corneal donor stem cell transplants fail?
Aiming to restore sight for people with limbal stem cell deficiency in both eyes
Preparing a donor cornea for transplant: by machine or by hand?
A clinical trial to improve a common surgical procedure
Acanthamoeba under the microscope
Finding out who will need longer treatment to save their sight.
Reducing the risk of repeat growths on the eye.
Improving treatment outcomes in a common cause of impaired vision.