Primer Fellowship Awards
Fight for Sight is delighted to partner with the Royal College of Ophthalmologists and the Royal Society of Medicine to offer up to three Primer Fellowship Awards. Applications are invited to conduct research into any of the charity’s six research priority areas as detailed in the Charity’s Research Strategy 2012-2017. In addition the charity is keen to address the priorities identified by the Sight Loss and Vision Priority Setting Partnership.
Fight for Sight/ John Lee, Royal College of Ophthalmologists: Up to two awards will be offered in partnership with the Royal College of Ophthalmologists to members of the College to undertake vision research. Each Primer Fellowship Award provides funding for up to one year to a maximum amount of £60,000. These are aimed to fund trainee ophthalmologists at an earlier stage in their career in order to aid the successful applicant produce a strong application for Clinical Research Training Fellowships in the future.
Fight for Sight/ Royal Society of Medicine: One award in partnership with the Royal Society of Medicine is to support trainee ophthalmologists, ophthalmic nursing or allied health professional graduates (including optometrists and orthoptists) to undertake vision research. Each Primer Fellowship Award provides funding for up to one year to a maximum amount of £60,000.
Fight for Sight is a member of the Association of Medical Research Charities (AMRC) and complies with its guidelines for best practice. Fight for Sight passed the AMRC’s 2015 Peer Review Audit.
- Applicants must be affiliated with UK academic or medical institutions.
- Fight for Sight would not normally agree to more than eight hours each week spent in routine clinical duties, except when additional clinical time is essential to the research project, or essential to the minimum requirements for the maintenance of clinical skills in the candidate’s specialty;
- Supervisors must have a contract which extends beyond the termination date of the award.
Financial support and duration
- Grant of up to £60,000 for one year
- Includes the costs of
- salary (for the person(s) carrying out the research);
- equipment essential for the project;
- other expenses (including travel).
- open access publication costs
- Excludes indirect costs and any other non-attributable overhead costs.
This call for the Primer Fellowships is now closed. The next call for submissions will open on Wednesday 15 August 2018. The deadline for applications is 5pm on Wednesday 31 October 2018. Interviews will take place on Friday 18 January 2019. Successful applicants will be notified Early February 2019 with Primer Fellowship expected to start in October 2019.
Application must be submitted via our online system grants.fightforsight.org.uk
Late applications will not be considered.
Terms and Conditions