Marinated Horse Mackerel with “Aroma” rice
By Danilo Cortellino, MasterChef: The Professionals finalist 2015
- 2 Horse Mackerel
- 240g Riso Gallo Aroma
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red pepper
- 100g cherry tomatoes
- 3 pickled red onions
- 1 bunch fresh rocket
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 10 black olives
- 6 capers
- ½ red chilli
- Garlic bulb
For the fish marinade
- 160g white wine vinegar
- 80g sugar
- 40g table salt
PreparationTo marinate the fish
- In a large bowl whisk the white wine vinegar with salt and the sugar until dissolved.
- Fillet the fish and debone it with fish tweezers.
- Rinse the fillets in cold water and leave it to marinate at least for 5 minutes then drain it and gently pat it dry and leave aside.
- Cook the rice in salted boiling water for 12 minutes then run it under cold water to cool it down.
- Peel the tomatoes and preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Roast the pepper for 10 minutes until the skin blisters and turns black.
- Remove from the oven and place the red pepper in a hermetic plastic container for 10 minutes then peel and slice it in thin strips.
- Dress the tomatoes with salt, pepper, a drizzle of olive oil and few leaves of basil then roast them in the oven at 180°C for 5 minutes.
- Chop the capers and the pitted olives together.
- In a non stick frying pan toss the rice with a drizzle of oil, garlic and the chilli cut in thin strips.
- Remove the garlic after 2 minutes and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- With the help of a blowtorch burn the Meckler’s skin.
- Place the rice in the bottom of the plate and garnish it with the roasted red pepper and tomatoes, a few slices of pickled onions, olives, capers and then lay on top the Horse Mackerel.
- Finish the dish with a few leaves of fresh rocket salad and basil.