Fight for Sight funds pioneering research to prevent sight loss and treat eye disease in adults and children. Each year, we provide a range of funding opportunities for research teams based in the UK who are attached to recognised academic or medical institutions. You can read summaries of our research projects below.
- Acanthamoeba keratitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Amblyopia (lazy eye)
- Bardet Biedl Syndrome
- Behçet’s disease
- Best disease
- Birdshot chorioretinopathy
- cerebral visual impairment
- Charles Bonnet Syndrome
- Conjunctival disease
- Corneal disease
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Duane syndrome
- Eyelid cancer
- Fuchs’ corneal dystrophy
- Leber’s congenital amaurosis
- Leber’s hereditary optic neuropathy
- Macular hole
- Meesmann corneal dystrophy
- Ocular coloboma
- Ocular mucous membrane pemphigoid
- Proliferative vitreoretinopathy
- Refractive error
- Retinal detachment
- Retinopathy of prematurity
- Retinitis pigmentosa
- Stargardt disease
- Thyroid eye disease
- Uveal melanoma (eye cancer)
- Wolfram syndrome
By research category
- Clinical Fellowship
- Dr Hans and Mrs Gertrude Hirsch Award
- Early Career Investigator Award
- Fight for Sight / Birdshot Uveitis Society Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / British Thyroid Foundation and Thyroid Eye Disease Charitable Trust Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / British Thyroid Foundation Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Childhood Eye Cancer Trust Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Fulbright Research Award
- Fight for Sight / International Glaucoma Association Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Macular Disease Society Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / National Eye Research Centre Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Nystagmus Network Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Olivia's Vision Uveitis Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / PMRGCA UK Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / RP Fighting Blindness Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Uveitis Information Group (Scotland) Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight Partnership Fund
- Fight for Sight Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Sparks Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Thomas Pocklington Trust Small Grant Award
- Frankenburg PhD Studentship
- MRC/Fight for Sight Clinical Research Training Fellowship
- New Lecturers' Small Grant Award
- PhD Studentship
- Programme Grant
- Project Grant
- The Frankenburg PhD Studentship
- Thyroid Eye Disease Charitable Trust Small Grant Award
Understanding immune responses in the retina’s support cells and Bruch’s membrane
Aiming to develop treatment that can prevent sight loss from AMD
Can stem cells repair the retina’s blood supply in dry AMD?
Aiming to develop a treatment that could prevent AMD from progressing.
What environmental changes to DNA are involved in AMD?
Testing and re-testing to make sure we do sound science.
Preventing or reversing age-related blindness electrically
Exploring a new approach to preventing sight loss from AMD
How do connections in the retina re-wire after damage to the light-sensors?
Laying the groundwork for successful stem cell transplants.
How do calcium and protein build up in the eye and what’s the link to AMD?
A surprise link to the mineral found in teeth and bones.
Generating eye tissue for research and treatment
Changing the future of drug development.
C9: A new genetic risk factor for AMD
Untangling the effects of genetics and the environment.
Do environmental changes to DNA play a part in the risk of getting AMD?
Gathering the information we need to reduce the risk of severe sight loss.
Is there a better way to stop blood vessel growth in wet AMD and diabetic retinopathy?
Developing a new drug target for treatment as an alternative to anti-VEGFs.