Fight for Sight funds pioneering research to prevent sight loss and treat eye disease in adults and children. Each year, we provide a range of funding opportunities for research teams based in the UK who are attached to recognised academic or medical institutions. You can read summaries of our research projects below.
- Acanthamoeba keratitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Amblyopia (lazy eye)
- Bardet Biedl Syndrome
- Behçet’s disease
- Best disease
- Birdshot chorioretinopathy
- cerebral visual impairment
- Charles Bonnet Syndrome
- Conjunctival disease
- Corneal disease
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Duane syndrome
- Eyelid cancer
- Fuchs’ corneal dystrophy
- Leber’s congenital amaurosis
- Leber’s hereditary optic neuropathy
- Macular hole
- Meesmann corneal dystrophy
- Ocular coloboma
- Ocular mucous membrane pemphigoid
- Proliferative vitreoretinopathy
- Refractive error
- Retinal detachment
- Retinopathy of prematurity
- Retinitis pigmentosa
- Stargardt disease
- Thyroid eye disease
- Uveal melanoma (eye cancer)
- Wolfram syndrome
By research category
- Clinical Fellowship
- Dr Hans and Mrs Gertrude Hirsch Award
- Early Career Investigator Award
- Fight for Sight / Birdshot Uveitis Society Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / British Thyroid Foundation and Thyroid Eye Disease Charitable Trust Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / British Thyroid Foundation Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Childhood Eye Cancer Trust Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Fulbright Research Award
- Fight for Sight / International Glaucoma Association Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Macular Disease Society Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / National Eye Research Centre Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Nystagmus Network Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Olivia's Vision Uveitis Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / PMRGCA UK Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / RP Fighting Blindness Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Uveitis Information Group (Scotland) Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight Partnership Fund
- Fight for Sight Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Sparks Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Thomas Pocklington Trust Small Grant Award
- Frankenburg PhD Studentship
- MRC/Fight for Sight Clinical Research Training Fellowship
- New Lecturers' Small Grant Award
- PhD Studentship
- Programme Grant
- Project Grant
- The Frankenburg PhD Studentship
- Thyroid Eye Disease Charitable Trust Small Grant Award
Can we stop cancer spreading from the eye to the liver?
A step towards treatment that targets the BAP1 gene.
High-tech enhanced vision for people with one eye
Filming video from the blind side of eye cancer patients.
Finding out what causes the swelling and fat build-up in TED
Can a type of anti-cancer treatment also treat a distressing eye disorder?
Studying birdshot using stem cells from patients
Making it easier to fill in the gaps in current knowledge and create a test bed for developing treatments
Are the genetics of birdshot related to iron overload in the eye?
Investigating a link that could lead to a new option for treatment with a drug that’s already available
Testing a new drug that tackles inflammation in the eye
Finding out about the safety and effectiveness of a treatment for inflammation due to uveoretinitis.
Is there a link between the gut microbiome and Behçet syndrome?
A study to find out whether treating microbes and bacteria in the gut could be important for reducing sight-threatening inflammation in the eye.
Inflammation in the cells that form barriers to protect the eye
Understanding epithelial tissue could help develop treatment for blinding conditions linked to age
A multicentre study to test a tool for diagnosing thyroid eye disease.
Speeding up TED diagnosis so treatment can start sooner.
How many new cases of birdshot are there each year?
A UK study that’s the first of its kind in the world.