Fight for Sight funds pioneering research to prevent sight loss and treat eye disease in adults and children. Each year, we provide a range of funding opportunities for research teams based in the UK who are attached to recognised academic or medical institutions. You can read summaries of our research projects below.
- Acanthamoeba keratitis
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Amblyopia (lazy eye)
- Bardet Biedl Syndrome
- Behçet’s disease
- Best disease
- Birdshot chorioretinopathy
- Cerebral visual impairment
- Charles Bonnet Syndrome
- Conjunctival disease
- Corneal disease
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Duane syndrome
- Eyelid cancer
- Fuchs’ corneal dystrophy
- Leber’s congenital amaurosis
- Leber’s hereditary optic neuropathy
- Macular hole
- Meesmann corneal dystrophy
- Ocular coloboma
- Ocular mucous membrane pemphigoid
- Proliferative vitreoretinopathy
- Refractive error
- Retinal detachment
- Retinopathy of prematurity
- Retinitis pigmentosa
- Stargardt disease
- Thyroid eye disease
- Uveal melanoma (eye cancer)
- Wolfram syndrome
By research category
- Clinical Fellowship
- Dr Hans and Mrs Gertrude Hirsch Award
- Early Career Investigator Award
- Fight for Sight / Alzheimer's Research UK Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Birdshot Uveitis Society Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / British Thyroid Foundation and Thyroid Eye Disease Charitable Trust Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / British Thyroid Foundation Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Childhood Eye Cancer Trust Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Fulbright Research Award
- Fight for Sight / International Glaucoma Association Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Macular Disease Society Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / National Eye Research Centre Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Nystagmus Network Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Olivia's Vision Uveitis Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / PMRGCA UK Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / RP Fighting Blindness Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Uveitis Information Group (Scotland) Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight Partnership Fund
- Fight for Sight Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Sparks Small Grant Award
- Fight for Sight / Thomas Pocklington Trust Small Grant Award
- Frankenburg PhD Studentship
- MRC/Fight for Sight Clinical Research Training Fellowship
- New Lecturers' Small Grant Award
- PhD Studentship
- Programme Grant
- Project Grant
- The Frankenburg PhD Studentship
- Thyroid Eye Disease Charitable Trust Small Grant Award
Studying birdshot using stem cells from patients
Making it easier to fill in the gaps in current knowledge and create a test bed for developing treatments
Are the genetics of birdshot related to iron overload in the eye?
Investigating a link that could lead to a new option for treatment with a drug that’s already available
Does choroideremia affect more than the eye?
A study to follow up recent evidence that faults in the REP1 protein may affect metabolism
Retinal activity in autism, ADHD and Duchenne muscular dystrophy
A non-invasive measure of visual impairment in people with neurological disorders
How does laser therapy compare to eye drops for reducing pressure in the eye?
Finding out about how safe and effective the treatments are for people with glaucoma
What’s the best way to prepare donor tissue for corneal transplant?
Aiming to improve the quality of life for patients and reduce NHS costs
Does treatment for interrupted breathing during sleep affect eye pressure?
A study to inform treatment options for people with both sleep apnoea and glaucoma.
How does the immune system respond to fungal infection at the front of the eye?
Studying gene activity at the cornea as a first step to developing treatment.
Finding the genetic cause of uncontrolled eye movements in children
Towards an NHS test for infantile nystagmus
How well do cell ‘batteries’ work in people with glaucoma?
Investigating the potential of antioxidant therapy to repair cell damage